Security and privacy
1.2 If you have any queries about the policy, please get in touch with us (using the contact details set out at in section 11 below) and we will do our best to answer your questions.
1.3 We monitor and regularly update the procedures we follow to maintain the privacy of your personal information. Consequently, this policy may change from time to time. We recommend that you check it on a regular basis to ensure that you are up to date. Use of this Site after any change will indicate your acceptance of that change.
2. Personal information collected
2.1 The personal information we collect from you may include the following:
- Name, address, telephone number(s) and email address(es);
- Financial information;
- Information you give us on application forms or forms completed on our Site or during conversations with our call centre or at any of our branches;
- Information you give to us in relation to specific services you request from us.
2.2 We may automatically collect information about you or your use of the Site whenever you visit the Site (please refer to sections 5 and 6 below).
2.3 We may also collect information about you from other sources such as:
- Credit reference agencies;
- Fraud detection agencies;
- The other account holder in relation to a joint bank account;
- Other third parties such as suppliers of personal databases.
2.4 Although it is not compulsory to give us personal information, if you do not then we may not be able to provide you with our full range of services.
3. Use of this information
3.1 We will use your personal information generally to communicate with you, to provide you with services, to look after your accounts and to ensure we comply with our regulatory responsibilities. In particular, we may use your personal information in order to:
- Provide you with credit and credit-related services and to manage your account(s);
- Provide you with other services that you request;
- Recover debts and assist in debtor tracing;
- Prevent and detect fraud;
- Update our records about you;
- Prevent money laundering;
- Check your identity.
3.2 We may use personal information about you for our own internal statistical and operational purposes. For example, we may aggregate your information with information about our other customers so that we can measure interest in our services and trends among our customers. This will help us to enhance and develop the services which we offer to you and our other customers.
3.3 From time to time we may identify products or promotions which we think may be of interest to you. We may use your personal information to send you details of these products and promotions. If you do not wish to receive these details then you may contact us at any time using our contact details, which are included in section 11 below.
4. Sharing this information
4.1 We are the sole owners of the information collected on this Site. We will not disclose your personal information to any third party, without your consent except in the circumstances set out in this section 4.
4.2 We may disclose your personal information to a third party to the extent necessary to answer any enquiry you may submit to us, if that enquiry requires the involvement of a third party.
4.3 We may disclose your personal information to any appropriate investigative third party if we:
- Believe that you are involved in any illegal or harmful conduct; or
- Are required to do so by law (e.g. for the prevention of fraud or some other crime); or
- Believe that such action is necessary to
(1) comply with the law or with legal process;
(2) protect and defend our rights and property or that of any of our customers;
(3) prevent fraud;
(4) protect against abuse, misuse or unauthorised use of our website; or
(5) protect the personal safety or property of our customers or the public
For example, if you provide false or deceptive information about yourself or attempt to pose as someone else, we will disclose such information about you as we have to assist any type of investigation into your actions.
4.4 We may employ other companies to provide services to us. These companies have access to the personal information needed to perform their functions and not for any other purposes. They are bound by confidentiality agreements not to disclose any of this information or use it for any other purpose.
4.5 We may disclose personal information to any of our group companies.
4.6 We may transfer your personal information to a third party as part of a sale of some or all of our business and assets to any third party or as part of any business restructuring or reorganisation, but we will take steps with the aim of ensuring that your privacy rights continue to be protected.
4.7 In addition, we may pass your information onto one of our carefully selected business partners or to other carefully selected third parties to enable them to send you information which may be of interest to you but only if you have given us permission to do so. You can tell us to stop this at any time by contacting us (using our contact details set out in section 11 below).
5. Information automatically collected from your computer
5.1 Log files/ Internet Protocol (IP) addresses: When you visit the Site our web server automatically records your IP address. This IP address is not linked to any of your personal information. We use IP addresses to help us administer the Site and to collect demographic information for aggregation purposes. We will not attempt to personally identify you from your IP address unless required to as a matter of law or regulation or in order to protect our other customers’ rights.
5.2 We may also gather other non-personal information (from which we cannot identify you) such as the type of your Internet browser. We use this to provide you with a more effective service.
- To store any password and/or username individually assigned to or chosen by you so that you do not have to re-submit your password each time you visit the Site;
- To provide a more personalised service to you;
- To monitor the use of the Site including the number of visitors we have, the pages viewed per session and the time exposed to particular pages;
- To assess the level of interest of visitors in the content of the Site and tailor it accordingly.
7. Information about other products and services
7.1 As mentioned in section 3.3 above, we may from time to time send you information about our products and services which we think may be of interest to you. You can tell us to stop this at any time by contacting us at the contact details set out in section 11 below.
7.1 Also, as mentioned in section 4.7 above, we may pass your information onto one of our business partners or to other selected third parties, such as mailing houses and direct marketing agencies, to enable them to send you information which may be of interest to you but only if you have given us permission to do so. You can tell us to stop this at any time by contacting us at the contact details set out in section 11 below.
8. Changes to your details
We aim to keep our information about you as accurate as possible. If you would like to review or change the details you have supplied us with, please contact us at the contact details set out in section 11 below.
We have implemented technology and policies to safeguard your personal information from unauthorised access and improper use.
10. Linking to third party websites
We cannot be responsible for the privacy policies and practices of other sites even if you access them using links from our Site or use them to link to our Site. We recommend that you check the policy of each site you visit and contact its owner or operator if you have any concerns or questions.
11. Contact us
If at any time you would like to contact us with your views about our privacy practices, or with any enquiry relating to your personal information, you can do so by sending an e-mail to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or writing to us at Islamic Bank of Britain, Edgbaston House, 3 Duchess Place, Hagley Road, Birmingham, B16 8NH.